Super Earth is a challenging Go-To-Ground (GTG) course with a series of false entrances and/or false tunnels and dens. This sanctioned event is open to any Jack Russell Terrier, 6 months and older. A 30 second limit is provided for the terrier to traverse each 30 feet of tunnel to reach the quarry. The terrier may leave and re-enter earth several times until the quarry is reached and then must work the quarry for one full minute without a break in work and without leaving quarry. The terrier may switch from one type of work to another without penalty.
Super Earth tunnels are longer than the longest Go-To-Ground tunnel and are timed according to the length of the tunnel. The allotted time for completing the Super Earth tunnel will vary from trial to trial depending on the length of the tunnel they are using.
The Super Earth tunnel will be the same length for all classes at a given trial but will vary from trial to trial. It must be longer than the Open and Certificate Go-To-Ground tunnel and have a minimum of five turns. False entrances, den-like chambers and natural obstacles may be used in the tunnel.
Super Earth timing is determined solely by the length of the tunnel. The timing for each class is the same. They are allowed 30 seconds per 30 feet of tunnel and must work the quarry for one minute. The terrier is allowed to exit and re-enter the tunnel unlimited times until the quarry is reached or until the time allowed is exceeded.
Super Earth Rules
- Sanctioned Super Earth is open to Puppies, aged 6-12 months, and Adults. Certificate Super Earth classes are open to Adult terriers which have earned and received a JRTCA Super Earth Certificate.
- Schooling prior to competition is NOT permitted. Any violation of this rule shall result in disqualification from Super Earth competition at this trial. Noentry fees will be refunded.
- Terriers entered in Super Earth may also compete in their regular GTG classes.
- Exhibitors are expected to pick up Super Earth score sheets at the Secretary's stand. At the time of the competition, the exhibitor will give the score sheet to the Den Steward for scoring by the Judge.
- The organizers will designate a starting line. Time starts when the terrier is released. The judge signals the release of the terrier. Do not release the terrier until the judge signals. Any violation of this rule, accidental or intentional, shall result in disqualification of the terrier from the class. Noentry fees will be refunded.
- After the terrier is released, the handler shall remain at the starting line. Commands and encouragement may be given. The judge will signal to the exhibitor to pick up the terrier at the completion of their work.
- In the event of a tie, the tie shall be broken by a run-off; the fastest time shall determine the winner.
- The use of electronic timers at a JRTCA sanctioned trial for this event is acceptable under the guidelines provided.
- Terriers, 1 year old or older, registered or non-registered, which have previously scored 100% in the Open Adult Super Earth class must continue to compete in the Open Adult Super Earth class until they receive their Super Earth Certificate. A terrier achieving 100% in the Open Adult Super Earth class is eligible to apply for a Certificate when the terrier is registered or recorded with the JRTCA. No adult terrier may compete in the Championship Certificate class until the Super Earth Certificate has been applied for and issued.
- To obtain a Super Earth Certificate after scoring 100% in an Open Class at a JRTCA Sanctioned Trial, the owner of the adult terrier shall submit a copy of the qualifying score sheet, signed and initialed by the Super Earth judge, along with a $20.00 filing fee, to the JRTCA office. The score sheet is good for the life of the dog and may be submitted with the registration application if the terrier is not already registered/recorded with the JRTCA.
- Once a terrier has received their Super Earth Certificate, it MUST compete in the Certificate Class. CROSS-ENTERING IS NOT PERMITTED BETWEEN CERTIFICATE CLASSES.
- Copies of JRTCA Super Earth Certificates MUST be submitted with pre-entries to the Den Steward at the time of judging.
- Timing for all Super Earth classes: 30 seconds per 30 feet of tunnel; may leave and re-enter earth several times until the quarry is reached; must work quarry for one full minute without a break in work and without leaving quarry.
Note: please refer to the official Super Earth rules in the JRTCA Sanctioned Trial Rule Book which take precedence over the information displayed above.